As your dog or cat ages, there may be a lot of changes in their health. At Taconic Veterinary Center, we can help you navigate these changes and provide appropriate senior pet care and recommendations for at-home care to ensure your companion lives a happy and healthy life by your side.
Call Taconic Veterinary Center today to schedule your pet’s senior wellness exam!
Dog Years vs. Human Years
7 dog years = 44 – 56 years
10 dog years = 56 – 78 years
15 dog years = 76 – 115 years
20 dog years = 96 – 120 years
Cat Years vs. Human Years
7 cat years = 54 years
10 cat years = 63 years
15 cat years = 78 years
20 cat years = 97 years
The Importance of Senior Pet Care
Senior pets are more vulnerable to developing serious illness or disease, such as diabetes, arthritis, heart disease, liver disease or specific types of cancer. It’s important they receive care that can promptly detect changes and help manage their health. We recommend pets 7 and older have a senior wellness appointment at least twice a year. During these appointments, we will:
- Perform a thorough physical examination
- Administer vaccinations
- Carry out lab testing
- Discuss any changes in your pet’s health
- MOBILITY AIDS – You may notice your senior pet is having a harder time moving around the house, but rest assured this is a normal part of the aging process. We suggest placing rugs over slippery floors to improve traction and providing a ramp so your pet can reach raised furniture such as a bed or couch.
- REGULAR EXERCISE – Daily exercise can benefit all pets by helping to improve their mobility and temperament as well as helping to prevent weight gain.
- PROPER NUTRITION – Providing a diet specifically formulated to your pet’s age and health conditions is the best way to ensure they have a healthy and balanced diet.
- CAREFUL MONITORING – If you notice any changes in your pet’s eating, drinking, sleeping or bathroom tendencies, we recommend letting your veterinarian know.